Thursday, September 20, 2007

Save the commercial for the end of the call


I love to play racquetball, and I have to make a reservation at the Spectrum Health Clubs to get a court at my club. For the past couple of weeks, I have been getting this message when I call my club: "thanksforallingspectrumwhereyoucangetathousandbucksforreferring....." before the basic "Hi, my name is Jo Bob, thanks for calling Spectrum, how can I help you?"


Pure and simple, this form of marketing is on level with spam email and direct mail from politicians. I have a busy enough schedule that I don't want to waste time hearing their message. Yet, until recently, I did nothing about it.


Yesterday, after playing racquetball, I filled out the Spectrum customer service satisfaction form and I told the front desk staff about my complaint. Without giving the name of the Spectrum employee, he smiled and he said he got a lot of complaints from others, but I was the first to actually take the time to write down my complaints. And, the funny thing was that he gave me a complimentery bottle of Gatorade for my efforts.


Today, I spoke to a manager at Spectrum who asked me how to improve this process.


Here's my thoughts on how to improve the telecommunications process and a suggested training ploy:


Spectrum Health Club: Hi, this is Joe Bob at the Spectrum at Rogers Ranch, how can I help you?


Me: This is Matt, I would like to get a reservation for a racquetball court, get in touch with a trainer or some other service.


Spectrum: Thanks. I'll take care of that. By the way, did you know about this new fall promotion......"

No comments: