Thursday, September 13, 2007

Taking the time to praise excellent service: an open letter to the folks at Sprint PCS


When I get exception service at a bar or restaurant, I tend to tip 25 percent or more to a hard working hospitality professional. However, when dealing with someone who doesn't work for tips such as a Sprint PCS rep, I can't really send him a tip. Yet, in a customer service environment where good service is recognized with bonuses or other forms of recognition, doesn't it make sense to commend people?


After dealing with two very inept CSR reps in the Phillipines who wanted to stay on script, I got exceptional help from Tony, a rep based in Kentucky, I took the time to speak to his boss who asked that I send his supervisor an email. Here's the text of that email message with the hopes that others who read this blog will take the time to respond as well when they get great service:


Mr. Prather,
I have been dealing with your overseas customer service reps for the past week, and I have to admit that they stick to the script and they NEVER use critical listening or thinking skills. I had a problem with my data plan, and after five minutes of dealing with the Filipinos who stick to script as if their job depends on it, I got to speak to Tony in your Kentucky Blackberry support section. Tony was excellent, and he took the time to call me back to verify that a service that was truncated by the overseas staff was restored.
Could you do the following for me:
A) Tell the cost cutters at Sprint that a little common sense and listening skills is a valued skill with all their customer service reps. Instead of spending $$$$ on their ads to gain customers; they could do a better form of marketing with superior customer service skills such as folks like Tony;B) Pass on my compliment to Tony for his willingness to call me back.C) Ask Sprint to find more contractors like Tony to help customers with service.
--

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.