Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Is this the best you can do -- a $20 gift certificate?

Just got this email message from the folks at Holiday Inn Express and their guest relatons staff after my recent night's stay in Sealy, Texas:

Dear Mr. Scherer, > > Thank you for contacting Guest Relations regarding your experience with the> Holiday Inn Express Sealy, TX. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to> bring this matter to our attention and apologize for the difficulties you> had experienced with the hotel staff. > > It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations> and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from> our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the> necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.> We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to> improve. > > I have forwarded your comments to the General Manager and ownership of this> hotel, and I am confident they will take the necessary steps to continue to> improve their services. In addition, in an effort to retain your patronage,> I have sent you $20.00 in Guest Coupons, on their behalf. These may be> redeemed towards room or restaurant charges at any of the following IHG> Brands: Crowne Plaza®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Express by> Holiday Inn®, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts®, Staybridge Suites®,> Candlewood Suites®, and Hotel Indigo®. They are valid for redemption until> the expiration date printed. You will receive them under separate cover> within the next 7-10 business days.> > Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with> us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you> will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs. > > Sincerely, > > > Everett Parra > Guest Relations > IHG

And here was my response to them:

Dear Eve,
Let me share my perspective on this. When I had a similar experience at another hotel chain, the Drury Hotel apologized to me and gave me a free night with a similar deal to the one promised for 100-percent satisfaction at your chain. And, that's why if there is a choice in the matter on hotels, I always opt for them. The folks at Drury were big enough to admit their mistake and rectify the problem. Since that one bad incident, I have spent about 10 nights there with them, especially when on business in Houston and Colorado.
Your $20 gift certificate is not adequate to repair the damage done by your Sealy Hotel. As I said before, I would expect this from Knights Inn Hotel or a trucker's motel, not from Holiday Inn. Everytime I see your ads in San Antonio, I think of the Sealy Hotel treatment, and while I don't go out of my way to share my experiences with this hotel, I will tell others of my treatment and your $20 gift certificate offer, especially in light of your promise to make things right.
If this is the best that you can do, I'll take my business to your competitors. What I truly expect is this:
A) A full refund for the one night stay in Sealy (that's what you promised in the cover thing for my room key if something wasn't right.)

B) An offer to send via expedited freight sweet rolls like the ones promised in your ad for a future breakfast at my home.

If you can't do better than a $20 gift certificate, please expect me to mail it back to you and your answer to the chief executive officer of the Holiday Inn Express. In light of your promise to make things right, a measly $20 gift certificate is not doing things right.

No comments: