Monday, August 20, 2007

An open letter to Barry Johnson, VP of student affairs at Lamar


Dear Dr. Johnson,

I just wanted to take the time to share my feelings about my son's move into Lamar University.   If you want to make things better for future students, here's my thoughts on ways to improve the process:

1)  When a student gets his student ID, it shouldn't take 10 business days to get through the mail.  When I went to college at UTSA to get my business degree three years ago, I got my ID card in only five minutes.  Your folks in the ID section said my son, Peter, had to wait two weeks because the card had a magnetic card with financial data in it, but my UTSA card also had money placed into it for meals and for print jobs at the school.   Maybe, it's time to find another ID card vendor that can provide a card that can be given to a student in just a few minutes.  As a public relatons manager to MDI Security Inc, I know that there are security card vendors that can provide a card and allow the students to put a pin number to protect the info.  Perhaps, it's time to get a new or updated system into place.


2)  Your mail process.  How is it that my student can get his key to his room on Saturday, but he has to wait until Monday to get his mail box?   One of your senior staff said that it was because the mail folks don't work on Saturday, but I know that there are a lot of authorized contractors who work on Saturday, especially when they have 1000 new customers.

3)  The dining hall.   My son reports that he couldn't get a meal until Monday.  It's a good thing that I left him with a lot of groceries until the dining hall folks open for business.

Here's hoping that you look at these comments as a way to make things better for students at Lamar.  I admit that you're the first university administrator to give me your private cell phone number during my son's orientation, so I know you care about the process at Lamar.

No comments: